This fund exists to subsidize travel for philosophers of color who would otherwise find it challenging to participate in APA meetings.
- The fund provides a maximum of $500 in travel subsidies per person per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).
- Funding is provided through reimbursement, and only costs actually expended may be reimbursed. Receipts must be provided.
- Only APA members who are members of a racial/ethnic group underrepresented in the field are eligible to receive support from this fund.
- Travel support is offered only for participants of APA divisional meetings or other APA-sponsored conferences (such as the Diversity in Philosophy conferences sponsored by APA diversity committees).
- To be eligible for support from this fund, a person must be on the main program (as a speaker, chair, commentator, etc.) for the meeting in question.
- Those receiving travel support from other sources, such as their home institutions or other APA funds (graduate student stipends or special assistance from a divisional executive committee), for a given meeting or conference are not eligible to receive support from this fund for that meeting or conference.
To the extent possible, all those who request funding and are deemed eligible will receive funding. If funding requests exceed the amount of funding available, the executive director will determine, in consultation with other members of the APA leadership as appropriate, how much funding to award and to whom. Preference will be given to those most in the need, those without any institutional support available (as opposed to those who have exhausted existing institutional support), and those who have not previously received support from this fund.